Miralax Prep Instructions
Hospital: Shawnee Mission Medical Center Main Entrance
Regarding Current Medication:
- Please avoid all Aspirin products and weight reducing medications or supplements (7) days prior to your procedure.
- After surgery you must refrain from any Aspirin products for (3) weeks following your procedure unless instructed otherwise by your physician.
- If you do not know if Aspirin or blood thinning agents are in the medication(s) you are taking, and to avoid any health risks, please consult the physician that prescribed the medication(s), or your pharmacist. A list of commonly used Aspirin products will be included in your instructions.
Fasting For the Procedure:
- You must be on a clear liquid diet the entire day before your procedure. Examples of clear liquids: water, 7-up, Sprite, chicken/beef broth, Gatorade, white grape juice, Jell-O, tea and coffee without cream or sugar. Please do not eat or drink anything colored red or purple.
- Please drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. This will keep you hydrated and make the Bowel Prep easier for you.
Beginning your Bowel Prep:
- Please take (4) Dulcolax tablets at 10:00am.
- Please mix (238) grams of MiraLax in (64) ounces of Gatorade and begin drinking this solution at 12:00pm and through 2:00pm.
- If your stools are not clear by 6:00pm please drink one 10 ounce bottle of Magnesium Citrate. **Clear stools should look like urine without any fecal material. (Cherry or Grape flavored Magnesium Citrate is acceptable.)
- If you begin to feel nauseous wait 30-60 minutes, then drink the remaining solution.
- You can not eat or drink anything after midnight.
- You must have a driver with you.
- If you are on Insulin, we ask that you hold your morning dose the day of your procedure. If you are taking Insulin more than once a day, please contact your primary care physician for further instructions regarding your Insulin dose.
- If you have any questions and/or need to schedule an appointment please call the office (913)677-4010.
Download Dr. Graham's Miralax Prep PDF Here