After fistula surgery, you will have an open wound. This will slowly heal and should not be too sensitive 1 week after surgery. There will be drainage and some minor bleeding until the wound heals. A small gauze pad will be useful in absorbing drainage. This drainage will diminish on a weekly basis.
- Hot baths - 3 or moreeach day.
- Irrigate anal area in shower after each bowel movement.
- Maintain high fiber diet with addition of Konsyl, Metamucil, or Fibercon.
- Take pain medications as needed.
- No exercise for 4-6 weeks; however, may swim anytime.
- Limit activity for 1 week.
- Apply topical antiobiotic cream twiceeach day.
- Expect some discharge and minor bleeding until the wound completely heals.
- If large rubber drains were left in when discharged from hospital, they will be removed 2 weeks after surgery.
- Schedule postop appointment for 3 weeks after surgery.